Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Cleaning


I recently posted about the pleasures of using olive oil as a beauty product. In this post I shall extoll the virtues of vinegar. In lieu of conditioner, you can use apple cider vingar to rinse your hair after shampooing and make it tangle free. (dilute a tablespoon of ACV in a large cup of water and use to rinse) I promise that the odor fades, and you will not smell like salad dressing.


For the most part, I don't use vinegar as part of my daily beauty regime, but it is number one in my arsenal of cleaning supplies. And now that spring is upon us, it's time to break out the cleaning supplies and scrub away the winter grime. Vinegar is an amazingly versatile product that you can use to clean every room of your home. I use a mixture of diluted vinegar (with water, approx. 2 T vinegar to 2 cups of hot water) with a spoonful of borax, a squirt or two of castille soap and essential oils of my choice (i like peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus) to make an all purpose spray that I use everywhere (except glass). If you add a little tea tree oil, this concoction makes a great bathroom cleaner. You can use vinegar and water to clean glass and wipe down hardwood floors. Vinegar and baking soda works wonder in declogging and freshening sinks. (Note, you can also use baking soda to scrub tubs and sinks, but that's another post). I also use vinegar and water to routinely wipe down Baby Saucy's toys, since it is a non-toxic way to disinfect them. I assure you that the vinegar smell does dissipate once it dries.


I recognize that there are a number of non-toxic, environmentally friendly cleaning products on the market, Seventh Generation, Method, CleanWell to name a few, that I use and love (Method Baby laundry detergent smells so good). But for an extremely inexpensive and versatile product that you probably already have in your home, cleaning with vinegar is worth a try.

No comments: